Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Have you ever designed your ideal playground or garden?

Yep, I just finished the project, too. I built a shed that I designed to look like a minature version of my house. I dug out two gardens, one in the front and one on the side. I installed a trellis in the side garden under the window and window box and placed a very cute little wrought iron bench with two potted herb plants on it. In the front garden, I have another tiny wrought iron garden chair with an impatien plant on it and on the wall I hung a large wrought iron planter with a basket that coordinates with the window box on the side. I lined both gardens with rocks I found while digging out the pad for the shed and used cedar mulch to finish both gardens. It looks absolutely charming and gives an adorable finishing touch to my side yard. It is an absolute pleasure to look out my windows and see it! And, it was fun to design, fun to create and we did all of the work ourselves, so it is a source of great pride.

Have you ever designed your ideal playground or garden?
Yep, just designed my front yard and had a landscaper do most of the work. It looks great!
Reply:Yes, I've done both. When we bought our house 7 years ago I decided to section off a part of our yard and designate it for our childrens play yard. I did this because I wanted a safe place for them to play and also to keep if free of dog poo. Anyhow, I built them a 12'X12' sand box with a shade canopy. Next to that I created a mulched and boarder place to put the swing set. After that I created a place to put a Little tykes play house surrounded with edging and planted mint, petunias, chamomile, and pumpkins in the borders of the play house yard. I made a tee pee of conduit and chicken wire and grew sugar snap peas, green beans, cucumbers up it for a fun place to play. Each year I grow a different veggie up the conduit structure. Not to mention all the various play yard toys. It all sounds like a lot and it is certainly something I never had as a child, maybe I over compensated a bit, but everything I did was either built by me or I found at a garage sale. I've even had people come by and ask me if I am running a day care. Anyhow, that is my playground design.


As for my garden, that is still a work in progress. I am a rose freak and have them everywhere. I also have many other plants and flowers. I'm into the cottage look so some of my flower beds are a well thought out mis match of flowers and plants. I tend to make themes of my garden beds. I have an OSU (Oklahoma State University) bed of nothing but orange and black flowers. A Mardi gras bed with gold, purple, and green, A bed of miniature roses. A bed of herbs and ediable flowers. And, a shade garden that I have to say is one of the most colorful beds in my garden. The Garden beds just keep growing because I'm always looking for another place to put one. I even asked my husband the other day if the neighbors would consider letting me rent a spot in their yard so I could grow melons. Next, after the kids are done with the play yard I plan on turning it into a veggie patch. I really look forward to that day. Well, there you have it.


Hope I didn't bore you to death.

my fish

No comments:

Post a Comment